- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd takes place during the 08:30 Mass in the classrooms upstairs in the Parish Centre. This is for children aged 3 - 6 who have not yet made their First Holy Communion. Children who are preparing to receive their First Holy Communion are encouraged to attend the whole of Mass with their families.
- Catechism Classes (G3 & 4), Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (G1 & 2) and EDGE (G5 - 7) take place on Friday afternoons from 17:00-18:00 (during term time) in the Parish Centre. The children are prepared for their First Confession, and First Holy Communion and subsequently concentrate on general faith development.
- Confirmation Classes take place on Thursday evenings 19:15-20:30 (during term time) in the Parish Centre. Preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation begins in Grade 8.
- For more information contact the parish office on 041 581 2035 or see Young Oratory
- Preparation for Sacraments: see Young Oratory for Junior and High School students
- Adult Instruction Class (RCIA) takes place on Thursday evenings in the Parish Centre from 19:15 -20:30. The course is suitable for any adult interested in being baptized and/or becoming a Catholic or any Catholic wanting to learn more about their faith. For more information please contact the parish office.
Prayer, Service and Fellowship Groups
- Society of St Vincent de Paul: The SSVP assists the poor of our local area. They meet regularly and have an invaluable mission particularly to those in need in the Walmer Township.
- Catholic Women’s League: The Ladies of the Catholic Women’s League meet regularly for prayer, spiritual reflection, fellowship, and for the planning of their many charitable works. They also generously assist the parish whenever needed with catering for special events and much more.
- Knights of Da Gama Council 19 meets at St Bernadette’s.
- Cell Groups: Cell groups meet regularly for faith sharing in the parish.
- Care Ministry: The Care Ministry meets regularly and assists the Fathers and Brothers of the Oratory in their ministry to the parishioners by regularly visiting those in hospital, the housebound, and those in need of care.
- Social Committee: The Social Committee organises social events in the parish, including the End-of-Month teas and the Friends of the Oratory Draw.
- Divine Mercy: The Divine Mercy group meets on Mondays after the 08:30 Mass.
- Newman Society: This group meets every first Wednesday of the month to listen to guest speakers on various topics about faith, music and culture.
- The Rosary is recited in the church after the 08:30 Mass on Tuesdays-Saturdays.
- For more information on any of the above, contact the parish office on 041 581 2035
- The Parish Choir, which sings at the 08:30 Sunday Mass and on Solemnities, practises after the 17:30 Mass on Thursdays.
- The Guitar Music Group sings at the 18:00 Mass on Sundays.
- The Gregorian chant choir sings at the 6pm (Vigil) Mass on Saturday evenings.
- Other areas of involvement - Sacristans, Flower Arrangers, Ushers and Readers
- If you would like to become more involved in the Liturgy of the Church in any of the above areas, please contact Father Jonathan through the parish office on 041 581 2035
- Parish Pastoral Council: The PPC assists the Fathers and Brothers of the Oratory in their pastoral care of the parish. If there are any issues or suggestions you would like to have raised at the PPC meetings, feel free to contact Fr Jonathan through the parish office.
- There are many ways you can become involved in parish life. Sewers, gardeners and handymen for example are always needed! If you feel that you have talents to share please contact the parish office on 041 581 2035
Complete and submit
Tel and address information
Corner of 8th Ave & Fordyce Rd, Walmer
Office (041) 581-2035
Out of hours (041) 581-6860
Fax: 086 550 5013