Run almost entirely by volunteers, the St Vincent de Paul Society is a worldwide organisation of lay Catholics who want to express their faith through service to the poor. The Society has been operating in South Africa since 1856. SVDP Walmer conference was formed in June 1950 and is active in the PE Diocese. We currently have 11 members but are fortunate to have regular assistance at our monthly food distributions from members of the parish and the Oratory students during their study terms.
What we do
- - Monthly food distribution to 140 selected families from the Walmer Township.
- - Assistance in the provision of food to The Homework Club in Walmer Township.
- - Financial assistance to a learner at Victoria Park Primary School.
- - Financial assistance to 3 pre-school children at St Anne’s, selected from our 140 families.
- - Visitation and assistance to urban families who find themselves in destitute circumstances.
- - Weekly provision of sandwiches to the Parish Office for passing beggars.
- - Distribution of clothing to various organisations in the Walmer Township.
- - Collection of food from the Food Bank, some of which is used for the monthly SVDP distribution, most of which (perishables) is delivered to the St Patricks soup kitchen.
All you need to join the Society is a strong desire to follow Christ through service to those in need, and so bear witness to His compassionate and liberating love.
Meetings are held every third Tuesday of the month at 17:30 (Upstairs in the church hall).
Distributions are done every first Saturday of the month at 08:00 (in the church hall).
Cash contributions for the food parcel may be made by placing your contribution in an envelope marked “SVDP” in the collection plate or by direct deposit to the SVDP bank account:-
St Vincent De Paul Society
Branch Code 211 217
Current Account No 54591740675
If you would like to support the education of one of our underprivileged children this can be done by contacting us directly (via the parish office).
Complete and submit
Tel and address information
Corner of 8th Ave & Fordyce Rd, Walmer
Office (041) 581-2035
Out of hours (041) 581-6860
Fax: 086 550 5013